Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall Detox

Big Cottonwood-last Autumn
Fall detox which I found in Yoga Journal is all that I've been talking about to my yoga classes. I've been loving it and have been sharing this to my students, my family, friends & now you guys. I was talking to another instructor about how we make resolutions on January 1st, which is smack in the winter and no wonder we go to the gym for the 2 weeks after to lose that 10 pounds and then after awhile we tend to find ourselves inside more and less at the gym. It's normal to do that because our body goes inward in the winter. Which is why we gotta detox our body now and get rid of toxins and start strengthening our immunity. Lets make our goals now before winter comes.


The detox includes: 
Simplified diet: start to let go of things that you don't need, be mindful of what you put in your body. We all need to nourish our body with healthful, cleansing foods. This also includes herbs, drinking tea.
Cleansing yoga: go to a yoga class and do it often, come to me if you don't want to pay for a class..I'm happy to teach my friends some detox moves or go here for at home practice
Meditation & Pranayama (breath control): spend a few minutes a day and notice your breath, notice your thoughts and let go of things that you cannot control in you life. Write in a journal, self study what you are going through at this moment. Start to slow down and reducing any stress that you are dealing with.


Part of this detox is not only to strengthen our immunity for the winter months, but to restore our body, to release stress and to clear our mind. In the article it says, "At the junction between the heat of summer and the cold of winter, you have a real opportunity to let go of bad habits and embrace healthier ones." it goes on saying, "Only then can you have space to establish the good habits you need to create the kind of health and vibrancy you want for your life."


The reason why this hit home to me so much is that our lives are so busy all the time, we get tired, we get stressed and it is good to know that eating mindfully, doing twisting yoga positions and watching our breath and thoughts really reduce anxiety and stress in our lives. When our lives have been crazy in the summer it's time to slow down and be mindful. One of my favorite quotes in the article says, "I look at autumn as a transition into a new year, I look at nature: The harvest is over, and it's time to clear out. It's an opportunity to till the soil and plant the seeds for next year's harvest. Once we do this for ourselves, we can recommit to what is working for us and set ourselves up to get more of what nourishes us in our lives."


Hopefully you will all think about this detox or just do something for yourself every single day. Letting go of any crazy things we are going through. Have a happy detox. 


Happy Sunday.

3 comments:

Polly said...

love this post! thanks for your advise and support. this make so much sense to me.

Abby said...

Can't wait to start this right when I get home. Great post!

the mama monster said...

yep. like it all. i still need to come to one of your yoga classes!